Bristol Ruby logo Latest News

Bristol Fall To Heavy Pre-Season Defeat

Published on 17th August 2013 by Tom Tainton

Bath Rugby 69-5 Bristol Rugby

Bristol Rugby fell to a resounding 69-5 defeat at the hands of Bath Rugby in the pre-season opener on Saturday.

Andy Robinson’s men conceded eleven tries in a one-sided affair at the Recreation Ground, while Fautua Otto’s first half effort proved scant consolation.

The hosts went in front early on, as Mat Gilbert capitalized on a strong driving lineout to crash over from close range for an unconverted try.

Bristol showed glimpses of threat with ball in hand and almost hit back after a spell of attacking pressure, only for Fautua Otto to spill possession in contact.

Instead, it was the home side who stretched the advantage, as Mat Gilbert raced over for a second try following Faosiliva’s smart counter. Martin Roberts skewed his conversion wide of the upright, so the score remained 10-0.

Otto came within inches of scoring after Ryan Edwards’ chargedown and Bristol made inroads again soon after as Charlie Amesbury scythed through several tackles.

As the first period drew to a close, Bath notched a third touchdown through Charlie Beech. The prop rumbled over from five metres to give his side a 17-0 lead.

Bristol found a route back into the game when Fautua Otto rounded off a flowing passing move, evading two defenders to fly over in the corner.

On the stroke of the break, replacement Tom Dunn coasted in over the whitewash to give Bath a commanding 22-5 advantage at half-time.

The visitors started the second half brightly as triallist Sammy Speight came close following good work from Ben Mosses.

But Matt Banahan’s well-worked converted try kept Andy Robinson’s men on the back-foot, while Semesi Rokoduguni’s spectacular finish moved Bath into a 36-5 lead on the hour mark.

The hosts continued their assault on the Bristol tryline as Kyle Eastmond latched onto a loose ball, scooping up and waltzing in for Bath’s seventh try of the afternoon.

Bath reached the fifty-point mark when referee David Rose awarded a penalty try following another surge at the driving lineout. Ford converted as the scoreboard moved to 50-5.

Two further tries from Semesa Rokoduguni and Tom Biggs helped the hosts to 62-5, before David Wilson got in on the act with a five metre converted score to seal a thumping pre-season defeat for Bristol Rugby.

Bath Rugby:

First half:

Anthony Watson; Semesa Rokoduguni, Matt Banahan, Alafoti Fa'osiliva, Tom Biggs; Ollie Devoto, Martin Roberts; Charlie Beech, Ross Batty, Anthony Perenise, Stuart Hooper (c), Will Spencer, David Sisi, Mat Gilbert, Will Skuse.

Replacements: Tom Dunn (for Ross Batty 33 mins), Nathan Catt, Kane Palma-Newport (for Charlie Beech, 32 mins), Matt Garvey, Nick Koster (for David Sisi, 28 mins), Chris Cook, Kyle Eastmond (for Ollie Devoto, 17 mins), Jonathan Joseph.

Second half:

Anthony Watson; Matt Banahan, Jonathan Joseph, Kyle Eastmond, Semesa Rokoduguni; George Ford, Peter Stringer (c); Nathan Catt, Rob Webber, David Wilson, Dave Attwood, Dominic Day, Matt Garvey, Guy Mercer, Leroy Houston.

Replacements: Ross Batty, Charlie Beech, Anthony Perenise, Will Skuse, Mat Gilbert, Chris Cook, Ollie Devoto, Tom Biggs (for Matt Banahan, 56 mins).

Bristol Rugby:

First half:

George Watkins; Charlie Amesbury, Fautua Otto, Ben Mosses, Ryan Edwards; Adrian Jarvis, James Grindal (c); Mark Lilley, Ollie Hayes, Gaston Cortes, Ben Glynn, Mark Sorenson, Marco Mama, James Merriman, Ben Skirving.

Replacements: Rhys Lawrence, James Hall, Bruce Douglas, Glen Townson, Ruki Tipuna, Tristan Roberts, Andy Short.

Second half:

Ben Mosses; George Watkins, Andy Short, Luke Eves, Sammy Speight, Tristan Roberts, Ruki Tipuna (c); Bruce Douglas, Rhys Lawrence, James Hall, Mariano Sambucetti, Glen Townson, Iain Grieve, Marco Mama, Mitch Eadie.

Referee: David Rose