B&I Cup Structure And Dates Confirmed
2014/15 structure revealed
The 2014/15 British & Irish Cup structure and fixture dates have been unveiled on Friday.
Following discussion among all four Unions, four Principality Premiership teams will continue to represent Wales in the competition, joining the 12 clubs of the Greene King IPA Championship as well as four provincial teams from Ireland.
Due to changes in the competition dates for the forthcoming season, the Scottish Rugby Union (SRU) has confirmed that Scottish clubs will not participate in the 2014-15 competition.
As a result, this season's competition will move from 24 teams to 20, playing in five pools of four.
The pool groupings and full fixture list for the 2014-2015 British & Irish Cup will be released in due course.
2014-15 British & Irish Cup structure:
- 12 Greene King IPA Championship clubs
- 4 Welsh Principality Premiership clubs
- 4 Irish provinces – Connacht, Munster, Leinster and Ulster Ravens
- Taking place on 11, 18, 25 October, 29 November and 6, 13December 2014
- 5 pools of 4 playing home and away
- 4 points for a win, 2 for a draw, 1 bonus point for a) scoring 4 or more tries and/or b) losing by 7 points or less
- Taking place on 24 January 2015
- Top side in each pool progress to knockout stage, plus three best runners-up
- 8 quarter-finalists ranked with teams ranked 1-4 having home advantage
Semi-finals and final
- Four winning quarter finalists progress to semi -final draw which takes place on weekend of 13/14/15 March 2015
- Winning semi-finalists progress to final to take place on weekend of 3/4/5 April 2015