Bristol Ruby logo Latest News

Bristol Sink To First Home Defeat Of Season

Published on 01st December 2013 by Tom Tainton

Bristol Rugby 22-28 Leeds Carnegie

Bristol Rugby sunk to a first home defeat of the campaign, going down 22-28 to Leeds Carnegie at the Memorial Stadium.

Andy Robinson’s side scored four tries to record two losing bonus points, but trailed by eleven points at the interval as Leeds ran riot during the first period.

George Watkins (2), Kyle Traynor and Mitch Eadie all crossed, but it wasn’t enough as Leeds went over four times to clinch maximum points.

Bristol showed positive intent early on and could have gone in front when Bryan Rennie found space down the outside channel, only for the centre to be bundled into touch just a metre from the whitewash.

But, after Rhys Lawrence was held up over the line three times in quick succession, Leeds took the lead on their first foray into Bristol’s 22.

Fred Burdon collected James Currie’s neat offload to coast in under the posts from close range for a converted score.

Bristol found a route back into the game midway through the first period as George Watkins latched onto Ruki Tipuna’s long pass to race over in the corner. Roberts couldn’t convert, so the score remained 5-7.

Leeds extended their advantage with a second try when Jonah Holmes shrugged off two defenders to pluck a crossfield kick from the air and gallop in under the posts, while Glyn Hughes slotted the extras.

And Holmes took advantage of a gaping overlap soon after, capitalizing on Stevie McColl’s individual break to canter in for his second of the afternoon and move the visitors into a commanding 5-21 lead.

On the stroke of the interval, Kyle Traynor muscled his way over from twelve metres for an unconverted score as Andy Robinson’s men went in trailing 10-21.

Ben Harris rumbled over for the visitors to seal a bonus point in the second half, but – after Leeds skipper Jacob Rowan was sin-binned – Mitch Eadie burrowed over following a quickly taken penalty to give Bristol hope.

In the dying stages, George Watkins notched a second try as the hosts fought back to within six points and claim two losing bonus points.

Bristol Rugby:

Adam D’Arcy; George Watkins, Bryan Rennie, Luke Eves, Charlie Amesbury; Tristan Roberts, Ruki Tipuna; Kyle Traynor, Rhys Lawrence, James Hall, Ben Glynn, Mark Sorenson (c), Marco Mama, James Merriman, Ben Skirving.

Replacements: Ollie Hayes, Gaston Cortes (for James Hall, 56 mins), Glen Townson (for Ben Glynn, 49 mins), Mitch Eadie (for Ben Skirving, 56 mins), Callum Braley (for Ruki Tipuna, 56 mins), Adrian Jarvis (for Tristan Roberts, 50 mins), Andy Short (for Bryan Rennie, 57 mins).

Leeds Carnegie:

Stevie McColl; Jonah Holmes, Josh Griffin, Fred Burdon, David Doherty; Glyn Hughes, Craig Hampson; Ben Harris, Phil Nilsen, James Currie, Nathan Hannay, Calum Green, Richard Beck, James Doyle, Jacob Rowan (c).

Replacements: Joe Graham, Sam Lockwood (for Ben Harris, 60 mins), Lee Imiolek (for James Currie, 60 mins), Matt Smith (for Nathan Hannay, 69 mins), Chris Walker (for James Doyle, 69 mins), Alex Lozowski, Oli Goss.

Referee: Greg Macdonald
Attendance: 5,029
ITEC UK Man of The Match: Kyle Traynor