Bristol Ruby logo Latest News

Bristol Secure Bonus Point At St Peter

Published on 28th September 2013 by Tom Tainton

Jersey 17 - 26 Bristol Rugby

Bristol Rugby secured a bonus point with an impressive 26-17 victory over Jersey on Saturday.

Backed by a raucous following from the Westcountry, Andy Robinson’s men scored four tries as Ruki Tipuna, Tristan Roberts (2) and Ryan Edwards crossed at St Peter.

Bristol enjoyed the best possible start – dominating possession in the opening exchanges and seizing an early advantage, courtesy of Ruki Tipuna’s second minute try.

The scrum half dabbed down from a metre out following Glen Townson’s charge towards the line. Roberts struck the conversion as Bristol raced into a 0-7 lead.

Tipuna had a hand in a second try moments later, as his quickly taken penalty caught the Jersey defence napping and Tristan Roberts flew over in the corner for an unconverted score.

Roberts notched his second of the afternoon midway through the first half, finishing off a fine breakaway attack from the visitors.

The ever-threatening Ruki Tipuna collected his neat grubber ahead before feeding Glen Townson in space. The imposing lock sent Roberts in under the posts for a converted try, moving Bristol into a commanding 0-19 lead.

As Jersey looked for a route back into the game, Andy Robinson’s men were reduced to fourteen men when Iain Grieve was sin-binned for an infringement at the lineout.

The home side made their man advantage pay soon after, reducing the deficit through Niall O’Connor’s three-pointer in front of the posts.

Roberts had a chance to keep the scoreboard ticking over on the stroke of half-time, but the fly half saw his long range penalty attempt sail wide.

Bristol started the second period in inspired fashion and sealed the bonus point within a minute of the restart.

On his first competitive appearance of the season, George Watkins accelerated clear to put Ryan Edwards in under the posts for a sublime converted try.

Jersey hit back almost immediately with a touchdown of their own, as Ed Dawson latched onto a crossfield kick to slide over in the corner. Niall O’Connor converted from the angle to keep the hosts in touch at 10-26.

George Watkins went close to another as Bristol surged forward in numbers, before Jersey replacement Nick Selway rumbled over from close range for a converted try to set up a nervy finale.

Marco Mama thought he’d crossed the whitewash, only for play to be recalled for an adjudged forward pass, while Niall O’Connor saw a last-gasp penalty attempt sail wide as Bristol recorded a second successive bonus point win in the Greene King IPA Championship.


Grant Pointer, Mark Foster, Mark McCrea, Dai Bishop, Ed Dawson, Niall O'Connor, Jimmy Williams, Sean McCarthy, Elvis Taione, David Young, Nick Campbell, Alex Rae (c), James Voss, Joe Buckle, Tom Brown.

Replacements: David Felton (for Elvis Taione, 40 mins), Nick Selway (for Dave Young, 70 mins), Tom Fidler (for Sean McCarthy, 74 mins), Dave Markham (for James Voss, 63 mins), Joel Dudley (for James Williams, 55 mins), Aaron Penberthy, Drew Locke (for Grant Pointer, 46 mins).

Bristol Rugby:

Adam D’Arcy; George Watkins, Andy Short, Ben Mosses, Ryan Edwards; Tristan Roberts, Ruki Tipuna; Kyle Traynor, Ollie Hayes, Jason Hobson, Glen Townson, Mark Sorenson (c), Iain Grieve, Redford Pennycook, Marco Mama.

Replacements: Rhys Lawrence (for Ollie Hayes, 49 mins), James Hall (for Jason Hobson, 59 mins), Ben Skirving (for Iain Grieve, 53 mins), Mitch Eadie (for Redford Pennycook, 76 mins), Callum Braley (for Ruki Tipuna, 69 mins), Nicky Robinson (for Tristan Roberts, 69 mins), Bryan Rennie (for Andy Short, 49 mins).

Referee: Ian Tempest
Attendance: 2,590