Bristol Ruby logo Latest News

Bristol's Cup Run Ended By Leinster

Published on 07th April 2013 by Tom Tainton

Bristol Rugby 26 - 30 Leinster 'A'


Bristol Rugby exited the B&I Cup at the quarter-final stages with a 26-30 defeat at the hands of Leinster ‘A’ on Sunday.

In an entertaining encounter, Andy Robinson’s side conceded four tries at the Memorial Stadium, while Mariano Sambucetti and Ross Johnston posted second half tries for Bristol.

The hosts started brightly and could have gone ahead inside two minutes, but Adrian Jarvis skewed his penalty goal attempt wide of the upright.

In a lively opening period, Leinster went in front when Andrew Conway finished off a slick backline move to dab down in the corner. Noel Reid couldn’t convert, so the score remained 0-5.

Luke McGrath thought he had extended the visitors’ advantage when he stretched over from close range soon after, but referee Andrew McMenemey deemed that the ball had been held up.

Leinster did add a second try after ten minutes, as Andrew Goodman capitalized on an overlap to cross the whitewash and double the Irishmen’s lead.

Jarvis reduced the deficit with a three-pointer, before Noel Reid missed a penalty chance almost immediately from the restart.

Bristol fought back to 9-10 on the half hour mark as Jarvis, then blood replacement Tristan Roberts, struck penalty goals in quick succession.

Roberts had a chance to turn the game on its head on the stroke of half-time, but the utility back couldn’t find the target with a long range penalty effort.

Andy Robinson’s side did complete the turnaround after the interval, as Mariano Sambucetti crashed over from five metres for a converted try.

But Leinster hit back with a score of their own when James Tracy burrowed over from close range. Noel Reid slotted the extras to give the visitors a one point lead at 16-17.

Reid gave Leinster breathing space at 16-23 with two further penalties, before Jarvis struck a three-pointer with less than ten minutes remaining to set up a nervy finale.

The impressive Fionn Carr waltzed over for Leinster’s fourth late on, and – although Ross Johnston crossed for a late consolation – the visitors held on to move into the semi-finals.

Bristol Rugby:

Jon Goodridge; George Watkins, Fautua Otto, Ben Mosses, Andy Short; Adrian Jarvis, Callum Braley; Mark Lilley, Rhys Lawrence, Gaston Cortes; Mariano Sambucetti, Roy Winters (c); Alafoti Faosiliva James Merriman, Mitch Eadie.

Replacements: Ross Johnston (for Rhys Lawrence, 64 mins), Bruce Douglas (for Gaston Cortes, 43 mins), Glen Townson (for Mariano Sambucetti, 64 mins), Marco Mama (for Alafoti Faosiliva, 57 mins), James Grindal (for Callum Braley, 62 mins), Tristan Roberts (for Andy Short, 29 mins), Jack Tovey (for Ben Mosses, 26 mins).

Leinster ‘A’:

Andrew Conway; Andrew Boyle, Noel Reid, Andrew Goodman, Fionn Carr; Cathal Marsh, Luke McGrath; James Tracy, Aaron Dundon, Michael Bent; Tom Denton, Mark Flanagan; Ben Marshall, Rhys Ruddock (c), Leo Auva'a.

Replacements: Thomas Sexton (for Aaron Dundon, 67 mins), Martin Moore, Tadhg Beirne (for Tom Denton, 56 mins), Daniel Kenny (for Rhys Ruddock, 76 mins), John Cooney (for Luke McGrath, 62 mins), Colm O’Shea (for Cathal Marshall, 73 mins), Sam Coghlan-Murray (for Andrew Boyle, 70 mins).

Referee: Andrew McNenemey
Attendance: 2,408