Bristol Ruby logo Latest News

Faosiliva Hat-Trick Seals Bonus Point Win

Published on 30th November 2012 by Tom Tainton

Bristol Rugby 43 - 16 London Scottish


Alafoti Faosiliva notched a hat-trick on debut as Bristol Rugby ran out 43-16 winners against London Scottish on Friday evening.

The back-rower plundered three tries in nineteen second-half minutes, as Liam Middleton’s men made it three RFU Championship wins on the bounce.

George Watkins and Luke Eves also crossed either side of half-time in a scrappy affair at the Memorial Stadium.

Bristol started slowly and found themselves three points down inside the opening minute when James Love struck a long-range penalty goal.

The hosts soon found their stride and took the lead with the opening try of the evening, courtesy of George Watkins. The winger was on hand to waltz his way across the whitewash after sublime work from Ruki Tipuna. Jarvis slotted the extras, before London Scottish hit back with a second Love penalty goal.

Adrian Jarvis kicked Bristol into a 10-6 advantage, before London Scottish turned the game on its head with a well-worked try. Sensing an overlap after a tidy spell of possession, the Exiles moved the ball quickly wide for Andy Reay to dive over for a converted score.

In a scrappy first period ridden with stoppages, James Love and Adrian Jarvis traded penalties to ensure the sides remained deadlocked 16-16 at the interval.

Liam Middleton’s side almost went in front immediately after the restart following a powerful surge from the pack, but the ball was held up over the line. Instead, Adrian Jarvis struck his fourth successful penalty to give the home side a narrow 19-16 lead.

Bristol went further ahead with two quickfire tries, created by the dominant pack. First, Alafoti Faosiliva rumbled across the whitewash, before the Samoan added a second moments later, muscling his way over from five metres to give the hosts breathing space at 31-16.

The debutant completed a nineteen-minute hat-trick with a third try late on to seal a deserved bonus point, while Luke Eves capitalized on some neat interplay between Grindal and Mama to coast in under the posts and confirm a convincing victory at the Memorial Stadium.

Bristol Rugby:

Jack Tovey; George Watkins, Luke Eves, Ben Mosses, Mike Tagicakibau; Adrian Jarvis, Ruki Tipuna; Bruce Douglas, Ross Johnston, Jason Hobson, Mariano Sambucetti, Glen Townson, Iain Grieve (c), Redford Pennycook, Alafoti Faosiliva.

Replacements: Rhys Lawrence (for Ross Johnston, 54 mins), Kyle Traynor (for Bruce Douglas, 66 mins), Gaston Cortes, (for Jason Hobson, 54 mins), Ben Glynn (for Mariano Sambucetti, 66 mins), Marco Mama (for Alafoti Faosiliva, 73 mins), James Grindal (for Ruki Tipuna, 73 mins), Tristan Roberts.

London Scottish:

Jim Thompson; James Love, Oli Grove, Andy Reay, Gerard Mullen; Phil Godman, Ross Samson; Mark Irish, Adam Kwasnicki, Colin Quigley, Paul Spivey, Alex Karonias, Ben Russell, Chevvy Pennycook, Mark Bright (c).

Replacements: Billy Moss (for Mark Irish, 59 mins), Harry Allen (for Adam Kwasnicki, 73 mins), Lewis Thiede (for Colin Quigley, 46 mins), Sam Twomey (for Alex Karonias, 54 mins), Joe Trayfoot (for Ben Russell, 54 mins), Richard Bolt (for Ross Samson, 77 mins), PJ Gidlow (for Gerard Mullen, 61 mins).

Referee: Greg Macdonald
Attendance: 4,682