Bristol Ruby logo Latest News

Bristol Suffer Heavy Loss At Meadow Lane

Published on 04th November 2012 by Tom Tainton

Nottingham 63 - 7 Bristol Rugby


Bristol Rugby suffered a humiliating 63-7 defeat at the hands of Nottingham on Sunday.

The visitors – who were outplayed in every facet of the encounter - shipped nine tries in bitterly cold conditions.

Ben Glynn and James Merriman received yellows either side of half-time as the three-match winning run came to a shuddering halt at Meadow Lane.

Neither side could gain a stranglehold on the game in the opening exchanges, although James Arlidge did create a half-chance for Nottingham when he broke free downfield.

Nottingham opened the scoring on the fifteen-minute mark, courtesy of Brent Wilson. The skipper crashed over from close-range following a powerful surge at the lineout. Arlidge added the extras to give his side a 7-0 advantage.

The hosts went further ahead with a quickfire double soon after, capitalizing on a spell of pressure to move into a commanding 21-0 lead.

First, Alex Shaw dabbed down after a five metre rolling maul, before Joe Duffey stretched over in the corner to round off a flowing counter-attack.

A disappointing first half display was compounded when Brent Wilson burrowed over the whitewash for his second converted try of the afternoon, giving Liam Middleton’s side a mountain to climb, trailing by twenty-eight points at the break.

Bristol showed fresh intent after the restart and had two opportunities, deep in opposition territory, to get points on the board, only for the chances to go begging.

As the visitors struggled to find an opening, Nottingham distinguished any faint hopes of a comeback with four tries in a twenty-minute spell of madness.

Rhys Crane bagged a brace, before Joe Cobden and Andy Savage put a miserable Bristol defence to the sword with further scores, moving the Green and Whites into an unassailable 56-0 lead.

Replacement lock Tom Calladine continued the scoring spree late on, and, despite Ruki Tipuna’s late consolation effort, Bristol stuttered to their heaviest defeat of the RFU Championship campaign.


Andrew Savage; David Jackson, Joe Cobden, Joe Munro, Rhys Crane; James Arlidge, Sean Romans; Matt Parr, Joe Duffey, Michael Holford, Dan Montagu, Nic Rouse, Rupert Cooper, Brent Wilson, Alex Shaw.

Replacements: Scott Wright (for Joe Duffey, 65 mins), Matt Shields (for Michael Holford, 59 mins), Joe Quinn (for Dan Montagu, 70 mins), Tom Calladine (for Rupert Cooper, 45 mins), Finlay Barnham (for Sean Romans, 67 mins), Rory Lynn (for Andy Savage, 73 mins), Jack Bradford (for Rhys Crane, 63 mins).

Bristol Rugby:

Jack Tovey; Ryan Edwards, Luke Eves, Jack Gadd, Mike Tagicakibau; Tristan Roberts, James Grindal (c); Kyle Traynor, Ross Johnston, Gaston Cortes, Ben Glynn, Roy Winters, Redford Pennycook, James Merriman, Mitch Eadie.

Replacements: Tom Channon (for Ross Johnston, 63 mins), Bruce Douglas (for Gaston Cortes, 53 mins), Glen Townson (for Ben Glynn, 56 mins), Iain Grieve (for Redford Pennycook, 50 mins), Ruki Tipuna (for James Grindal, 51 mins), Adrian Jarvis (for Tristan Roberts, 51 mins), George Watkins (for Jack Gadd, 14 mins).

Referee: Lyr ApGeraint Roberts